Pages

Sunday, November 25, 2007

My Type of Medicine

Thanksgiving is a time reserved for being thankful. I am thankful for so many things that they are too numerous to list, but I am most thankful for my family, my church, my school, and my health. This Thanksgiving I was recovering from being sick and was forced to relax. Part of my cure was to curl up and read a good book. In just four days time, I was able to polish off an excellent book. David McCullough's 1776 is exceptional. It is well written and full of history not found in most texts. McCullough presents a different perspective to the War of Independence and General George Washington. If you like history or just like to read, I highly recommend this book. I will eagerly fill this prescription every time; it is my type of medicine!

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Yes indeed, 1776 is a fascinating read. McCullough has an uncanny ability to take the details of history and weave them together into a "feels like you're there" fabric. Could scarcely put it down!

Anonymous said...

I would agree that 1776 was a good book, but I think that David Hacket Fischer's "Washington's Crossing" is a great book. It covers much of the same material, only in much better detail, and in my opinion was a better historical account.

C. L. Bouvier said...

Thanks Mark!
Jason, I have not read Fischer's book, but I will have to read it now!