Pages

Friday, May 31, 2013

Endangered...

Today, truth is falling out of favor. No one is concerned with its present endangerment, and why should they be? Truth is difficult to hear. Truth ruins friendships and divides families. Truth makes us sad and mad; truth hurts us. No one wants the truth anymore. Lying is easier and less stressful. Upon hearing the truth, most do nothing with it, often letting it fad away with the hope that it will never come back.

We all know when we are being told a lie, but we listen because, deep down, we like it. We would rather believe in a lie than in the truth because to believe the truth comes with a certain responsibility, one that we really don't want. The responsibility associated with truth demands action; the responsibility associated with a lie only demands another lie.

The world in which we live is about peace and comfort. We like to live in peace and comfort so much so that we are now willing to live outside of truth, especially if that will bring us a little more peace and comfort. The truth disrupts our comfort and our peace, and no one wants that. There is really only one issue that I see standing in the way of this idea of truth disappearing altogether, and that issue is whether Jesus Christ is real or a myth.

Jesus made it clear; there is no truth outside of who He is. There is no avoiding His statements. Jesus made sure we would not miss them: He made claims concerning truth for the purpose of rooting Himself inside the idea of truth in order to separate Truth from all those little truths running around in the world. Truth, as an idea, is nothing more than an idea in competition with other ideas, but Truth, as a person, moves truth from a cognitive action that one can manipulate to a state of being that one is, or one is not. Jesus revealed to the world this idea of truth in His confrontation with Pilate.

When confronted by Pilate, Jesus stated, "For this purpose I was born and for this purpose I have come into the world—to bear witness to the Truth (To Him). Everyone who is of the truth listens to my voice" (John 18:37, ESV). To which Pilate responded, "What is truth"(John 18:38, ESV). Pilate walked away and wanted nothing to do with Truth. Pilate couldn't be bothered by Truth. It would have destroyed the peace that he had created for himself and for the people under his rule, and it would have blown up his comfortable life. To act on Truth at this point would have brought unwanted responsibility to Pilate, and Pilate wanted nothing to do with that so He walked away as if truth were merely an idea and not a person standing in front of him. But, what about us? What are we to do with Truth?

Pilate, deep down, knew the Truth. He was speaking directly to it, but his desires for comfort and peace caused him to do the things he probably swore he would never do. This is where we find ourselves today. Peace, comfort and even happiness define us, and these things, inside themselves, are not wrong. But, we often chose all three over Truth, just like Pilate did, and, these choices cause us to continue to distance ourselves from Truth until we find ourselves so far away from it that we don't even know what it is anymore. Jesus said you are either with me or against me, and the verse goes on... and those against me scatter. There is not a grey area that can hid us when confronted with Truth that is Jesus. We either listen to His voice in all things, or we are deaf to His voice in everything. Neutrality is a myth as there is no such thing with Jesus. Those with Him are of the Truth and listen to His voice; those not with Him are actively against him. Today, Truth is endangered, and most aren't even aware that there is an issue.





4 comments:

Karen said...

I'm finding this post particularly interesting today, as it pertains to a current struggle of mine.

You're right. The Word is very clear. Jesus said, "I am the way, the truth, and the life..." And, as you stated, only the truth is of Him and all else is against Him. This is where I seem to be conflicted. I love the Lord with all my heart and soul and strive to live according to His Word.

However, my current battle is one that I've been confronted with before. I'm guilty of lying by omission. I have considerable difficulties speaking what needs to be said unless I've been asked specifically. Yes, I know we should speak the truth in love; but when we speak those truths knowing that we are going to "ruin friendships, divide families, make someone sad or mad---hurt someone" etc. are we doing what's right? Could the answer to this question be circumstantial? In Romans we are also told to "live in harmony with one another." Are we supposed to just speak what we know to be true whether we are asked or not? Is my omission going against Him?

C. L. Bouvier said...

I think the answer could be circumstantial, but I think those times would become minimal if we spoke the truth in love consistently. Those times, in my humble opinion, are multiplied because truth is not our habit, at least that has been my experience, and I include myself as the chief offender. I look to Jesus as my example; there were instances where, after reading, I would say to myself, "that was a little harsh." But, each time the truth took precedent as it related to the gospel. The point is that Jesus and the gospel always take precedent. I am not sure what the answer is, but I do know that the results are the same no matter what side you fall on as I have tried both. Speak the truth and your volatile; say nothing and your apathetic or guilty or not interested or something is assumed. The only answer, as I see it, is scripture because, at least in my case, I am incapable of discerning those situations demanding truth and those demanding peace. That is my two cents, which may not even be worth two cents.

Karen said...

There you go again...

I presume that you are more discerning than you give yourself credit for. However, it's good knowing I'm not the only one who struggles in this domain.

Which do you think is worse---being volatile or apathetic / guilty / not interested / or assuming? This is tough for me. I'm not particularly fond of being any of these.

C. L. Bouvier said...

I don't think one is any worse than the other. Being volatile or being apathetic are two sides of the same coin of truth, if you will. One is either not interested in truth, or one wants one's own truth, but either way, Truth takes a back seat.