Pages

Wednesday, August 19, 2015

Self-Reflection

I was confronted with the idea of self-reflection the other day. Just how valuable is self-reflection?

I think there is merit to its use, but I am just not sure how much. My dilemma is not new. I am sure many more intelligent than me have struggled with the issue I am about to present, but just the same, it is an issue of struggle for me. Therefore, I am putting it out there for comments in order to be convinced one way or another; here it is.

I posit that self-reflection is a bit of a self-fulfilling prophecy once one reaches a certain point. Let me stop here and acknowledge that I do not know what point at this juncture.

Here is my issue. At what point does self-reflection become contributory to self-perception? I see it eventually pushing the humble person into more self-condemnation and the haughty person into more self-admiration. I believe there is merit in considering self, to a point, but after a certain point what was valuable, to me, now seems more detrimental.

Self-reflection must, in my humble opinion, be considered in light of human nature. As one who ascribes to an originalist position regarding human nature and acknowledges that human nature is sinful and in need of saving, self-reflection is a tenuous proposition, at best. The idea of reflection does not trouble me nearly as much as the idea of an unchecked self.

It is the self that is my concern because I know myself. Even in Christ, I struggle with this addiction to myself so self-reflection would certainly incur a similar struggle unless held accountable by some other source. What that other source is, at this point, I do not know. I do know that too much of self reflection can run its course and actually destroy the good things accomplished by the initial self-reflection.

Is self-reflection valuable? Yes, I believe it is, to a certain point. What is that point? I am not sure where that point is, but I do think that the point is earlier than most think. 

No comments: