Pages

Thursday, November 27, 2008

Missing Consequences


I became a Believer at the ripe old age of twenty-six, and my life has not been the same since. I wake each morning with a fresh sense of worth and value in my Lord that, in my previous life, I never had. I am comfortable in who I am and have a greater understanding of my strengths and my many weaknesses. But, I am also acutely aware of the vast differences in a life without Christ and a life with Christ, and it is these differences that prickle me more than most. I write this post as an observation and an opinion and not as a fact or as a truth.
I grew up in the Berkshire Mountains of western Massachusetts in a primarily Italian community. I am very much Italian as my mother was the daughter of a father, born and raised in Trentino, Italy, and a mother, whose parents were born and raised in Italy. My father, a Frenchman, was raised in this community and with these values as well. As a people, we were raised with an intense honor, traditional values and to be fiercely loyal with our word and our allegiances. With these came a string of immediate consequences to one's actions that served as parameters and accountability to behavior.
One such example is family. We, growing up, would say anything about anyone with the exception of one's mother and father. A word against either brought an immediate response which served as an immediate consequence and a future deterrent to such a poor choice of words. It was this consequence to, what we deemed, a poor action that served as a natural accountability factor to future behavior. And...it worked remarkably well.
What does this have to do with a life in Christ? Well, I have observed, over the years, that there are some missing consequences in western Christianity. We, Christians, in my view, need more natural consequences to our actions than we currently have. I have heard too many stories of Christians taking advantage of other Christians, and, in the name of forgiveness, never having to account for their poor decision or poor actions. I am, in no way, saying Christians should not forgive because they should, every single time.
What I am saying is that if Christians, and I include myself in this equation, had some immediate consequences awaiting our actions, and we knew of them and saw examples of them daily, we would think twice more about our current decisions leading to our current actions. I believe this to be true of general culture, as well. Part of our problem, across this time and culture, is that there are too many missing consequences.
As Believers, is it not all about our Lord? Every action taken, every word spoken and every thought entertained ...are all not for His glory? Someone, and I have long ago forgotten who, once said to me, "God's sovereignty does not negate the Believer's responsibility." And, I believe that to be true as it aligns nicely with what scripture commands each of us, "to work out our salvation with fear and trembling."
As I contemplate my walk with Christ, I seek more accountability to avoid being what I know I am, woefully addicted to myself. Without Christ, I am nothing, but with Christ, the world is possible as long as all that I do, say and think is for His glory. Blessings to all!

No comments: