Pages

Sunday, December 16, 2012

Who are you magnifying?

I heard a great sermon today on Luke, chapter one. It moved me so much that I just had to post a summary of it in light of all that has happened in our world over the last several days.

The events of Newtown, CT have moved me to re-examine the life I live, and today's sermon seems to be pushing that same agenda. As I summarize the sermon, I hope you will make the connection I made.

The pastor was preaching on Luke 1: 39-56, Mary's visit to Elizabeth. He took a very different turn, choosing to begin with the idea of magnification. His words hit me hard as he stated that we tend to magnify those created things and the situations they bring instead of the Creator. We tend to magnify the pain we are in, the sickness we have, the success we are experiencing or any number of other things about our status in life. Here, in this passage, Mary, with the ultimate opportunity to magnify herself, does not, and instead, magnifies the Lord.

Here's Mary, the mother of our Lord, glorifying the Lord with her actions and words. And, we see the same example from Elizabeth. Both of these women are going through miraculous pregnancies, which, due to the age and circumstance associated with each women, bring attention all its own, and yet, they continue to run from it. Each could quite naturally, with little additional effort, glorify their situation and circumstance, and yet, both do not.

What is our response to this terrible tragedy? It is certainly consistent prayer, support, aid, and any other assistance deemed necessary, but what will not be helpful is to magnify the situation over the Lord Jesus. Mary, in verse 1:47 of her Magnificant, provides our example:

     "My soul magnifies the Lord and my spirit rejoices in God my Savior."

Wow! As the pastor referenced, Mary, as a pregnant woman, had just traveled several days over rough terrain to be with Elizabeth. Her song says nothing of her state, her troubles, her efforts or her future; no, her song magnifies He who is Holy, the King of Kings and Lord of Lords, King Jesus! Her heart reflects what is most important to her and what is her deepest belief, her Savior, Jesus.

This sermon was an important reminder that I am not to dwell in my pain, my joy, my hurt or my success; I am to dwell in my Lord for He alone is worthy of my worship. The pastor closed with Psalm 2; the weak will be exalted and the proud and strong humbled. Those that bully and maim will be brought to their knees in His perfect timing. Senseless violence like we have seen recently are not outside his scope. We are called to leave them to Him and His timing, despite the tremendous desire not to do this. We are not to fall victim to the trap of magnifying the tragedy, the sadness, the real pain or the tremendous hurt. As Believers, we are called to magnify Him alone.

Who or what are you magnifying? Is it your pain? What about your standing in life? Maybe, its your intelligence, or maybe, its your power. Psalm 2 is your warning and my warning to magnify Him, as Creator. He is the great healer and the only answer for unspeakable events like those in Newtown, CT. May our prayers be focused on those families who lost loved ones, that the Lord would be their healing and provision at this difficult time. May Jesus be magnified! Blessings!

 

No comments: