Pages

Wednesday, June 18, 2008

Hang Number 17!



Over the years, I have developed a distaste for professional sports, especially professional basketball, but, I must admit, tonight I watched a NBA game. As a kid, I loved the Boston Celtics and never missed a game. I loved Jo Jo White, Dave Cowens and Larry Bird and often imitated them on my backyard court, but as I grew older I fell out of love with the professional game for many reasons.

It seemed to me that the game had become a one-on-one isolation-oriented game with little or no defense. I seldom watched a game. Maybe it was because the Celtics became so bad or maybe the game had actually changed...for the worse.

Well, with the Celtics in the Finals...I just had to sneak a peak at a game or two to see how the Celtics would do. I did watch, and I saw some defense, some offense and the Celtics winning. Could it be? Could they win their 17th championship? Tonight they won number 17, and Red is lighting up another cigar. Congratulations to the Boston Celtics! Will this pull me back to professional basketball again? Sadly, it will not because there still is something missing. I would rather watch a college game of any sport instead of its professional equivalent.

Just the same, I still celebrate the championship with the rest of Massachusetts and New England as that is where I was born and raised. Congratulations Celtics!

No comments: