Pages

Saturday, July 19, 2008

The Van Lunen Fellowship

This past week I was given the great honor of working with other administrators in what is known as the Van Lunen Fellows Program. We spent a week on the campus of Calvin College engaged in this program. Each day started with worship, as we sang songs, prayed and read responsively, in order to prepare for the day's journey. It was a battle for me as I had many heavy things competing in my mind for my attention.

As I walked into class my first day, I was startled...there sitting in my class was... my pastor from Huntsville? No, it could not be? But, it was...the glasses, the smile, and the hair all told me that it was my pastor! I soon learned it was not actually my pastor, but another fine gentleman who loved the Lord and desired to serve the Lord in Christian education.

We learned much from the program and learned much from each other. The Van Lunen Center has a big tent mentality when it comes to this program, and that mentality brings educators from many different denominations and demographics together for the sake of the gospel. We all learned the lesson that I have been learning this summer: there is so much on which to agree when we put our Lord first.

As I departed on Friday, I was ready to go home to begin the difficult process of deciding where to begin to apply the lessons learned. Each of us clearly understands that our tasks are difficult and often thankless, but our children...yes, our wonderful children are worth all the money, all the sweat, and all the pain for they are the future. Blessings to all!

No comments: