Pages

Wednesday, June 22, 2011

The King's Chair

The picture in this post is off King Edward's chair. It is found in Westminster Abbey. The King's chair or throne, if you will, was reserved for only one... the king. As I was reading through my devotion this morning, I came upon an interesting quote about the church. The quote was,

"If we, as the “royal priesthood” (1 Peter 2:9), would step back into our place, and observe Jesus seated at the Father’s right hand, our church would be transformed into his Church."

As I reflect back on my walk with Jesus, I can see that there are times when I am sitting in a seat reserved for one... my Lord. Those are the times when I need Him in His seat the most yet, my pride rationalizes to the point of justifying my place in that seat.

Whether it be my throne or the church's throne, there is only one king and one throne reserved for that king... Jesus Christ. I wake each morning with a desire to rid myself of the sin that weighs me down and gets in my way, and truth be told, my first movement is not a stride forward. No, it is, instead, a move upward as I push myself to stand up from the throne and move aside so its rightful owner can sit.

My problem... our problem is that we want to be in control; we want to be king. We are sitting in a seat reserved for someone else. When we realize that our best movement is to stand up and move aside, then, and only then, will we make individual progress and collective progress against the sin that holds us prisoner. It is sin that prevents us from being what God created us to be... loving examples of Him. Sitting in the wrong chair puts us in the wrong seat and out of action. Once we get comfortable in that chair it will be hard to get up and back into action. May your first movement be up and not down. Blessings!

No comments: